Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Card carrying member of the UAW

A few months ago, I described that the UAW petitioned to represent the University of California system post-docs. Well, last week I got an e-mail informing me that it is now in effect. Here is an excerpt from that e-mail:

For your information, the Office of the President Labor Relations had notified us that the Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) has confirmed majority support for Pro-UAW in the bargaining unit determination to represent Postdoctoral Scholars and Postgraduate Researchers at all UC campuses. Approximately 1,000 individuals at UCLA are included in this new systemwide bargaining unit, with a total estimated at approximately 6,400 members.

We understand that the University will send a letter of recognition to PERB today, November 3rd. At that point, Pro-UAW will have exclusive representation rights, and there may be no changes in working conditions, including wages, unless authorized through the systemwide negotiation process.


The American auto industry is practically on death's door and the UAW decided that unionizing PhD's was the logical next step for survival? I grew up in American Motors Corporation country. I saw the UAW burden that company with strikes and demands to the point where the company pretty much died. And I saw the aftermath as friends' parents lost jobs, the economy in my hometown crashed (and never fully recovered), and the people and town were forgotten once the UAW no longer needed them. Needless to say, I am now a card carrying member of the UAW, and I'm not proud of it.

No comments: