Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A 5-day L.A. itinerary

An old friend of mine visited this past week and it was a great chance to see some of the sights in L.A. that I haven't seen before. Luckily she wasn't that interested in seeing stuff like Hollywood Boulevard or Rodeo Drive so we got a chance to see some of the 'interesting' sights in and around L.A. Namely, we visited the following:

- The Queen Mary. This is an old sailing vessel that is now permanently docked in Long Beach. It was lots of fun to wander and explore, and it just *feels* haunted in places.

- The Fashion District in Downtown L.A. My friend is a sewer and quilter and we thought we would explore and look at the textiles. This multi-block area is AMAZING. There is store-upon-store of gorgeous fabric, beads, and trim for making clothes, drapes, jewelry, decorations, etc. And the best part are the deals that you can find here. There were complete bedding sets (gorgeous fabric) for $20-- the kind that I've seen at Macy's for $300!

- The Getty Villa. The grounds and the building are gorgeous and make for a very relaxing visit. I'm not knowledgeable in antiquities, but the explanation placards were very informative and relatively interesting.

- The Channel Islands National Park. The highlight of this has to be the hundreds of dolphins that we saw while on the boat returning back from the island.

- A taping of Jeopardy. We're not Jeopardy fans, but I think it was still interesting for my friend to see how shows are taped. The Jeopardy stage is larger than it looks like on t.v. which surprised me since every other set I've seen is smaller than it appears on t.v. Also, I never realized that there are Game Show Groupies akin to Star Trek Fans. The audience was primarily the groupies and relatives of the contestants. There were only a small handful of people who were there just to see the taping of a television show. Of course we saw Alex Trebek. He's just okay. Let's just say that he would not be anywhere near the top of my dinner-party invite list. He didn't seem to be that interesting, or smart, or nice ...

I don't usually get a chance to see what this city has to offer until somebody visits. It was a lot of fun taking a vacation in the city that I live in!

2 comments:

Alison said...

I have a sad confession - I only know of the LA fashion district and the Getty museum because of the Project Runway tv show. Sigh.

Come to Louisville, and I'll take you on the Louisville Slugger bat factory tour! ;-)

Insomniac said...

My friend watches Project Runway too. I only know about these places because other people have told me about them. A bat factory tour actually sounds like fun! :)