Saturday, May 31, 2008

I'm the Coupon Queen!

I just got back from a trip to the local Ralph's Grocery store where I saved over $32 on my bill, and I ended up paying about $36. That almost a savings of 50%! I was so proud of myself that I called my mom and reported my success. She thought it was funny and commented on the extra work that I had to do to save money. But the truth is that it wasn't that much extra work and it isn't rocket science.

My system is as follows. I leave the coupon section from the Sunday paper and other ads on the dining room table with a pair of scissors. When I am eating breakfast, I go through the coupons and clip out the ones for items that I expect to purchase within the coupon expiration period. Then I file the coupons in a small plastic envelope with divisions that have labels like 'dairy/cheese' and 'paper products'. Before I go to the grocery store I make of list of things that I need to buy and go through the coupon folder to see what coupons I have that match the things on my list. I also bring the coupon envelope with me to the grocery store just in case I see something that is on sale that I could store and have a coupon for--like toilet paper. Ralph's has double coupons everyday so I tend to go there because the coupons go further.

It just happens that there were a bunch of coupons for organic foods about a month ago to celebrate Earth Day. These same foods are on sale right now because I think the store stock-piled for people who would use the coupons the same week they came out in the newspaper. Now they are selling the excess inventory.

Yes, it is sort of silly to be happy over saving money using coupons. In all honesty, it isn't just about the money savings-- though that's a big incentive. I think a lot of coupon people enjoy 'beating the system' with their coupons. I'm not a religious coupon clipper. I go through periods where I clip them, but most of the time I'm too lazy or don't bring the coupons with me. But I just have to say that a friend told me that his mom paid for his first two years of college by setting aside the money that she saved using coupons and investing that money elsewhere. Coupon money is money afterall! I just wish they had coupons for gasoline...

2 comments:

Notta Wallflower said...

I don't think saving money is silly at all. With the economy the way it is, I know I'm doing more to try to save $ at the grocery store. You're much more organized with your coupons than I am. Mine are all over the place, and then they expire before I've found them. :-/

Insomniac said...

My coupons used to be all over the place before I developed this system that works for me. I used to keep all of the coupons in a regular envelope with index cards as dividers. But a year ago I decided to 'splurge' and get a plastic envelope from the CVS stationary section. It works like the paper envelope except that it makes me 'feel' more organized ;)