Monday, October 12, 2009

Long Beach Half Marathon

While running the Long Beach Half Marathon yesterday, I realized that my motivation to run races has completely changed.

When I first started doing races, it was for the adventure and (somewhat) the comeraderie. Now it feels like racing has become more of a personal check-list of 'races to do'. The Long Beach Half Marathon was exactly that kind of race.

I was told by several people to arrive early because traffic is bad for this race. So I pre-programmed my GPS the night before, took my friends' suggestion to avoid the 710 highway and use surface streets, and arrived at the pre-paid parking with plenty of time to spare. (Note for those planning on doing the race: take the 405 and get off at Long Beach Boulevard. Some of my racing buddies took the 710 and were stuck in a virtual highway parking lot. Also, the pre-paid parking is a nightmare. You are better off parking at the convention center and/or parking for free at a meter on Long Beach Boulevard.)

The weather was cool and ideal for running. But when I started the race, I really didn't feel "it"-- that enjoyment and flow that sometimes comes with running. The race was incredibly crowded and went along a narrow bike path which could barely hold all the people. It was like Disneyland only without the huge costumes. Though the pace would have been okay normally, the pace that my friend set that day was just a little too fast for me. At mile 6 I dropped behind and slowed down. But then the ball of my left foot started to hurt like there was not enough cushioning in the shoe. I re-adjusted the shoe but nothing helped. I kept on running running running until mile 11 when I cramped in my right calf. I stretched and walked a little, then ran for a while again before my left calf cramped. Those blasted cramps!!!

The finish line was ridiculously crowded. We had to wait in line through a crowd of people just to leave the finish line area. Maybe the race has grown big quickly and the organizers didn't realize that it would be this crowded? Or more like I was finishing with the mass bulk of the half-marathoners (and elite marathoners) so everybody was there at one time.

I felt as spent on this half as I sometimes do on a full marathon. I can't explain it. You just can't predict how things will turn out on race day!

Would I recommend this race even though I personally didn't really enjoy it? Yes, I would recommend it. The race is relatively flat and the temperatures are mild. There is a lot of race support (though I didn't even notice the Hooters girls at the mile 3 waterstation) and the locals are friendly. If you don't like crowds, it probably isn't for you. But if you feed off of their energy, it is definitely a pleasant race.

Plus, it's another race to check-off on the Southern California Race 'to-do' list.

No comments: