Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dream versus premonition

A few weeks ago I dreamt that I was sitting on a plane that was stranded in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. It had crashed without falling from the sky, but everybody on the plane was fine. While we were sitting around waiting to be rescued, an avalanche of snow fell on top of the plane. The layer of snow above my head was very small so I was able to dig myself out and dug out several other people on the plane.

The dream was vivid but I didn't take it to be much else than a dream--though I did tell people about it the next day.

Then a week later I read in the news that a plane in Denver had slid off the runway and crashed. There were some injuries, but nobody died.

This wasn't exactly my dream but I was a little wigged-out by the similarities.

Last night I had a dream that there was a big flood.

I never dream of disasters. I dream about not being able to find the classroom where I am supposed to take (or administer) a test. I dream about getting a bad haircut and being naked at the grocery store. I can not remember ever having a plane crash, avalanche, or flood dream except the ones that I've had these past few days.

I must be watching too much news. With the weather patterns, it's not too much of a stretch to say that once the snow melts there will be a big flood. Or that the snow is going to cause problems with travel and avalanches.

It's just a weird feeling when a dream becomes sort of real.

No comments: