Monday, December 03, 2007

*Star* sightings during the City of Angels Half Marathon

I ran the City of Angels Half Marathon yesterday as the group mentor/pacer for the Leggers 12 minute pace group (I'm in red):



John, the person taking the photo, had a Garmin that told us our pace by GPS measurement. It made my job a lot easier because I have this habit of zoning out and running to how I feel-- and I felt good yesterday. His digital pacer reeled me in several times, and kept me doing my job properly.

The City of Angels Half is a beautiful course. It started at Griffith Park, then ran along the L.A. River to Silverlake and past the Silverlake Reservoir, through Echo Park and along the pond there, and finally into downtown by the courthouse. I had rarely seen Los Angeles as beautiful as it was while running along this course.

While running through Silverlake, Geddes Watanabe, the actor who played the foreign exchange student in Sixteen Candles and one of the geeks in Revenge of the Nerds cheered us on from a street corner. It was a pleasant surprise to be cheered on by a recognizable movie personality.



At the race expo the day before the race, I was given a signed headshot by the guy who sold me my newspaper. It was sooooo L.A. to be given a headshot as a 'gift'. Nope, he wasn't attractive and he wasn't a recognized actor. I'm not sure why he handed me his headshot while selling me the newspaper. Maybe he thinks that I am an influential person in Hollywood with connections, and not an ordinary scientist.

3 comments:

Notta Wallflower said...

Ha, ha - I remember both movies and the actor. Weird about the head shot, I would not know what to make of that.

Insomniac said...

I guess that I could post the head shot online, but the guy was a little creepy.

Anonymous said...

Ironically, the woman in that photo from 16 Candles joined my Powergroup towards the end of last year. She had raised a family and is getting back into acting. :)